Everyone is talking about K-Beauty and many are in love with them, but what’s behind it? In order to get to the bottom of this new trend, let's check out the local market first hand.
As early as 2011 American experts realized that the modern and innovative technology used in cosmetics and dermatology in Korea is the most advanced in the world. Korea has taken the lead as the new skincare superpower and K-Beauty is THE innovation driver within the cosmetics industry.
10-step beauty ritual Korean women have a holistic approach to beauty and the skin care cosmetics have more ingredients than other products, and less focus on decorative cosmetics. Korean women follow no less than 10 steps deeply engrained in their everyday routine.
Cleansing oil: First makeup is removed with a cleansing oil by massaging the oil gently into the skin and then rinsing with warm water.
- Facial cleanser: The skin is thoroughly cleaned with a cleansing foam to remove any last traces of dirt. Circular massage movements are used to stimulate circulation.
Peel: A gentle peel frees the skin from dead skin cells and ensures deep cleaning for pores. This step should only be done once a week.
- Toner: The toner/refresher has a calming effect and restores the skin’s natural pH balance. It refreshes the skin and provides the ideal preparation for the next care steps.
- Essence: This step is one of the most important in the Korean skincare routine. Essence is a moisturising liquid with a light texture. It enhances the skin’s cellular renewal process and ensures a smooth, radiant complexion.
Serum: Serum, also referred to as an ampoule or booster, has a more highly concentrated viscosity than essence and can be used to address different needs. It delivers an extra dose of moisture, eliminates impurities, minimises fine lines and tightens the skin.
- Sheet mask: Sheet masks are infused with various skin care ingredients and are designed to address almost every skin need. It is the optimal way for the skin to absorb the active agents and moisture. After 10-20 minutes the sheet mask is removed and the remaining fluid is gently massaged into the skin with your fingertips.
- Eye cream: As the skin around the eyes is especially thin, extra care is required for this. Korean eye creams often contain collagen to reduce the appearance of fine lines and to prevent the creation of new wrinkles.
Emulsion: Like essence and serum, emulsion and cream are two different products with different concentrations. An emulsion is a light moisturising cream with a milky lotion texture that is mainly used to remedy skin problems.
- Cream: A rich facial cream is the crowning finale to the Korean beauty ritual. It nourishes the skin with moisture throughout the night and leaves it looking wonderfully radiant.
Experience nature with all the senses
A connection with nature is important in Korea – and this is also reflected in the area of beauty. One particular company KPTOWN , for example, has created a unique experience for customers with its beauty products; natural beauty on the inside and outside!